Constructed in 1958, the original Arthur W. Ferguson Elementary School was meant to be a temporary facility until a new school could be built. The modular facility lasted more than 50 years until it was possible for the School District of the City of York to build the new 90,250 sf school. Having secured a $500,000 Energy Harvest grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, the project focused not only on making a healthy learning environment for its anticipated 750 students, but also on maximizing energy efficiency.
7group leads and works with project teams in the green and integrative design of both new and renovated office buildings, schools, hospitals, housing, hospitality, retail, industrial and multi-use projects for public and private sector, federal, state, corporate, and numerous international projects. The partners of 7group have worked together for more than a decade to create some of the most successful green projects in the world. For a complete list of 7group projects click here.
The vision of the Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary (AMBS) Library to fulfill their role as stewards of the environment, minimizing impacts on the earth and restoring the land as much as possible, is clearly reflected in the Library’s design. Encouraging discovery and advancing knowledge in harmony with the environment, the AMBS Library is the first LEED certified library in Indiana, and includes a gallery space and bookstore.
As a premier environmental educational center, the Benjamin Olewine III Nature Center integrates building design and function with nature. The center is nestled within Wildwood Park in central Pennsylvania, where the Friends of Wildwood, along with the Dauphin County Department of Parks and Recreation, set out to build an educational nature center with minimal environmental footprint. The site previously was a dumping area, but after the discovery of the rare American Lotus on the park grounds in the 1980s, preservation efforts were fully adopted.
The Berks County Community Foundation (BCCF), a nonprofit whose mission is to promote philanthropy and improve the quality of life for the residents of Berks County, Pennsylvania, earned LEED Platinum (NCv2.2) certification for this headquarters and community conference center. The first LEED certified office building in the greater Reading area, this facility serves both to strengthen the Foundation’s presence in the community and to set an example of affordable sustainable building.
As the first LEED certified public school in Ohio, Licking County’s Career + Technology Center (C-TEC) earned state-wide attention. Central Ohio’s Green Building Council, along with a number of other state organizations, sent representatives to observe the school’s innovative leadership in action, and C-TEC still provides tours of the new facilities for numerous interested parties.
Since 1983, Chartwell School in Seaside, CA, has been helping students with learning differences (primarily dyslexia and ADD) develop skills to learn successfully and return to mainstream education. When Chartwell decided to construct a new school campus, its vision was to create a learning environment where the students’ natural environment was a visible part of their education; where the building would inspire the community about the possibilities of sustainable design.
As the first Pennsylvania school to achieve LEED certification, Clearview Elementary sets a standard of exemplary sustainable design and performance. The project team’s goal was to create an educational facility that would protect the health of its 250 students while teaching them how to protect the environment, and the school district has committed to continual engagement with these principles by augmenting its curriculum to include lessons the building teaches.
The renovation of the Friends Center, a National Historic Landmark in downtown Philadelphia, began as a modest capital improvements project. Now, by embracing the Quaker tenet that peace and justice depend upon restoring the Earth’s ecological integrity, the Center stands as a model of sustainable design after achieving the highest LEED Platinum (NCv2.1) score in Pennsylvania.
The Isaac Ray Treatment Center (IRTC) was Indiana’s first building to become LEED Silver certified, and the first government sector healthcare facility in the U.S. to receive this certification. As one of the most recent additions to the long-standing Logansport State Hospital, IRTC focuses on high-risk patients as the first mental health facility of its kind to specialize in therapeutic healing. Its approximately 20 acre site addresses the safety and security of patients, staff and visitors while encouraging healing through recreation in its carefully designed outdoor environment.
Having outgrown their existing office, King+King Architects chose to return to Syracuse, NY, where the firm originated in 1868. After hearing about the Near West-Side Initiative, King+King joined the movement to restore the downtown Syracuse community to its former glory as a business and social hub. An expanded 1913 farm equipment assembly plant and furniture warehouse in a marginalized neighborhood was chosen for renovation.